We can only deliver our mission of making the discoveries that defeat cancer by attracting, retaining and developing the best minds in the international marketplace.
The ICR is the leading academic research centre in the UK. Effective industry collaboration and innovation in new medicines and technologies are at the heart of our approach to drive benefits for patients. The ICR is ranked:
- first for the quality and impact of our research*
- second worldwide for the number of our publications cited in patents**
- fourth worldwide for the citation rate of scientific research published across all fields**
- fourth worldwide for top-cited research publications**
- in the top five higher education institutions worldwide for academic influence and commercial impact**
The majority of ICR employees are directly engaged in research, but there are also important roles in scientific facilities, academic services, IT, fundraising, communication, human resources, and within our Enterprise unit, which negotiates collaborations between ICR scientists and industry.
See facts and figures about how the ICR is structured into 8 research divisions, the different corporate services and the diversity of our staff and students.
The ICR is committed to the personal development of its staff and offers a varied mix of courses and online programmes in career development, interpersonal skills, management skills and information technology (see our training website).
We are proud to hold a prestigious Athena SWAN Silver award, recognising the impact our of our work in promoting gender equality in science and medicine.
The ICR has also been awarded the HR Excellence in Research award from the European Commission for its ongoing work in supporting researcher career development defined by the Researcher Concordat.
*2014 Research Excellence Framework **U-Multirank, 2020