PhD and MD(Res) – General applications
Prior to applying for a research degree at the ICR outside of the advertised funded programmes, candidates and their supervisors should discuss the appropriateness of the project and the candidates preference for either a PhD or an MD(Res).
Full funding for the duration of the research degree must be available (for full-time students this constitutes two years for MD(Res) and three years for a PhD; or the equivalent pro rata for part-time).
As soon as you are considering undertaking a research degree, please inform [email protected] who can explain the full process and requirements, which are summarised below.
To apply for a PhD or MD(Res), first you will need to approach a potential supervisor and agree on a research topic and protocol outline.
Then you will need to complete the following forms:
- Complete the ICR application form, which can be obtained by emailing [email protected];
- Write a protocol outline and discuss this with your potential supervisor, before it is approved by their Head of Division.
- Your potential supervisor must complete a supervisor form.
Additionally, you must send:
- written confirmation from the relevant ICR Head of Division, or Royal Marsden Hospital Department Head, confirming that there is full funding in place for a minimum of two years;
- copies of certificates of academic qualifications;
- evidence of ethical approval for the project if required;
- copy of passport, visa (if applicable) or national ID card (EU only);
- evidence of proficiency in English, i.e. TOEFL/IELTS scores (if applicable).
Prior to registration, applicants for PhD or MD(Res) degrees are required to meet with a member of the Academic Dean’s team for a “pre-registration” chat.
At this meeting, the applicant and member of the Dean’s team will discuss the project, look at the supervisory team and discuss the programme in detail to ensure the project is appropriate for the PhD / MD(Res) programme.