On our Postgraduate Life webpage we provide links to resources to help you:
- find a place to live in London;
- learn about transport options in London; and
- learn about the facilities and social activities available at each ICR site, including team sports and games.
If this is your first time living in the UK:
At the ICR, we aim to provide you with a welcoming and inclusive student work environment. Prior to enrolling, you will be assigned a 'buddy' (a current student) who will give you advice and help you with settling into your new surroundings.
We also offer a range of student well-being and welfare services, in case you ever feel like you need some additional support.
There are several Post Office branches in Sutton and Chelsea. Post Offices generally open from 9am to 5.30pm on weekdays and close at 12.30pm on Saturdays, although this can vary from branch to branch. Find your nearest post office.
- PrepareForSuccess contains learning resources about different aspects of academic life in the UK and the skills needed for effective study. Although some of the material is aimed at undergraduate students, many of the topics are useful for postgraduate students too.
- UKCISA offers advice for dealing with culture shock, as you may notice differences between the way things are done here and what you're used to at home. We would like to reassure you that it's perfectly normal to find it hard at first and that this usually disappears over time. It can also be a positive learning experience, making you more aware of aspects of your own culture as well as the new culture you have entered.