Main Menu

Opening a bank account in the UK

In order to receive your PhD stipend, you will need to open a bank account in the UK into which it can be paid. This should be done as soon as possible after you arrive in the country. 

You will need:

  • Two forms of ID – usually a passport and drivers licence.
  • Confirmation of your current UK address, such as a tenancy agreement, rent book or mortgage book.
  • Confirmation of your overseas address.
  • The previous month's bank statements, from bank accounts in the UK or your home country.
  • A letter of admission or enrolment from the Higher Education Institution, confirming you are in full or part time Higher Education (you can get this from the Registry).

The main banks in the UK are BarclaysHSBCLloyds TSB, and NatWest. All of these banks have branches in Sutton, and in the Chelsea / South Kensington area, and in most towns or districts. In addition, many building societies and the Post Office offer full banking services.

It is recommended that you check with the bank beforehand to clarify what information is needed to join, as some banks may vary with their request for information.

Useful resources:

ICR values

Our values – developed together as an organisation – make it clear how each and every one of us work to meet our mission – to make the discoveries that defeat cancer.