Main Menu


Many international students will be entitled to use the National Health Service (NHS), which provides free healthcare paid for by UK residents’ taxes:

  • If you began studying at an accredited UK higher education institute in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you may use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for medically necessary healthcare until the end of your course, irrespective of your nationality. You must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if your course extends beyond 30 June 2021.
  • If your course of study in the UK began after 1 January 2021 and lasts for more than 6 months, you will need to pay the immigration health surcharge as a part of your student visa application.

Make sure you register with a local General Practice (GP). That way you can receive emergency care if you need it, and access health services quickly and easily while you are studying with us. Find your local GP.

Registration with a GP is free. Once you’ve registered, you will be sent an NHS card. This is proof that you are registered for NHS treatment. If you ever require hospital care, you will need to show the hospital your NHS card – along with your passport, visa, and proof of attendance at university.

You should also register with a dentist. NHS dentists provide dental care at a low fixed cost, or you can choose to use a private dentist at a higher cost. Find an NHS dentist.

The NHS also advises you to check your vaccinations, get contraception, eat healthy food, and get plenty of rest. For more information, visit

PhD studentships

Applications for our main PhD studentships recruitment round are closed.

ICR values

Our values – developed together as an organisation – make it clear how each and every one of us work to meet our mission – to make the discoveries that defeat cancer.