1. Collecting information about you
1.1 From you or from others with your permission
We may receive information about you when:
- You get in touch with us directly, for example to take part in a fundraising event, make a donation or communicate with us for another reason. This could also be through an organisation we work with who contacts you on our behalf.
- Your information is passed on to us, with your permission, by an independent fundraising organisation; for example, if you raise money for the ICR by running in the Virgin Money London Marathon or donate to us through the Just Giving website.
1.2 From other sources
We combine information you provide to us with information available from other sources. This, for example, enables us to contact you in the event that you change your address or phone number, or gain a better understanding of your interests.
The information we receive from other organisations may depend on the permissions you have given them, so you should regularly check these.
This information comes from the following sources:
- Third party organisations — You may have provided permission for an organisation to share your information with third parties, including charities. This could be when you buy a product or service or register with them.
- Social Media — Depending on your settings on services like Facebook, WhatsApp or Twitter, or their privacy policies, you might give us permission to access information from those services.
- Public information — This might be from a wide variety of sources such as newspapers and magazines, the internet, Companies House, etc.
Back to top
2. Using your personal information
2.1 What we collect
We will normally request:
- Your name
- Your contact details
- Your date of birth
- Your bank or credit card details
- Details to enable us to claim Gift Aid
- Permission to contact you in the future, including your preferences about how you would like to be contacted
We may also ask for:
- Information relating to your health (if, for example, you are taking part in a sports event to raise money for us)
- Information on what motivates you to support the ICR
2.2 How we use your information
- To record your contact preferences
- To contact you, in line with your preferences, to ask for support and to give you progress reports about our discoveries
- To administer your donation or support, including processing Gift Aid
- To carry out legacy administration and to communicate effectively with the families of people who have left us a gift in their Will
- To keep a record of your relationship with us
- To improve our fundraising and communications methods
- To reduce fraud and detect credit risk
2.3 Building profiles of supporters and planning communications
We analyse information about our supporters for the following reasons:
- To ensure our communications are relevant and appropriate to the people we send them to and more closely match donors’ interests
- To use our resources efficiently and not waste money
- To identify donors who may be able and willing to give more support (for this we use, for example, publicly available demographic information, listed directorships, etc.)
2.4 Direct Marketing
Our marketing literature has clear opportunities for you to tell us your preferences about being contacted in the future, or not being contacted at all. If it’s easier for you, please call us on 020 7153 5387 to let us know your preferences or update them.
If we run an event in partnership with another specific organisation your details may need to be shared; in these instances we will be very clear what will happen to your information when you register.
2.5 Sharing your story
Some people choose to tell us about their experiences with cancer to help further our work, for example by using their story when we make an appeal.
This may involve sharing sensitive information related to their health, family life and biographical and contact information.
We will ask for explicit and informed consent from these supporters (or a parent or guardian if they are under 18) and not use the material publicly unless we have their permission.
2.6 Disclosure of your information to third parties
We do not sell, trade or rent personal information to any other organisations for fundraising purposes.
Back to top
3. Further information
For information on our data security, use of “cookies” and right of access to information we hold about you, please read the main ICR privacy statement.
Back to top
4. Changes to this statement
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Statement. If we do so, we will post notice of the change on our Site and users of the site will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
Back to top