Main Menu

Overseas applicants

The Institute of Cancer Research has a diverse population and takes care to create an open and fully inclusive environment for all staff to achieve their goals.

Key information

Visa cost and requirements

Successful applicants will be able to claim the cost of their visa and of the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) for themselves and for their dependants once they have joined.

Before applying for or commencing employment in the UK, applicants should check their visa requirements.

Taxation and national insurance

Details on UK taxation and National Insurance Numbers are available from the HM Revenue & Customs website. We recommend prospective researchers read through the British Council's Euraxess guide for international researchers moving to the UK.

Information for applicants from the EU/EEA/Swiss citizens

From 1 January 2021, the rules on living and working in the UK for EU citizens has changed.

  • Those living in the UK by 31 December 2020 need to apply for EU Settled or Pre Settled Status if they wish to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021.
  • Find out if you need to apply.
  • Those not in the UK by this date and coming to the UK from 1 January 2021 onwards are covered by the new points-based immigration system (although you may have immigration permission outside of this e.g. ancestry).


To open a bank account in the UK you will need:

  • Two forms of ID - usually a passport and drivers licence.
  • Confirmation of your current UK address, such as a tenancy agreement, rent book or mortgage book.
  • Confirmation of your overseas address.
  • The previous month's bank statements, from bank accounts in the UK and/or your country.

You should check with the bank beforehand to clarify what information is needed, as some banks may vary with their request for information.

As well as general post services, the post office also offer a banking service. You can find out more on the Post Office website.


Most people are covered for emergency healthcare and dental care through the National Health Service (NHS), but you will still need to register with a local doctor and dentist.

NHS dentists provide dental care at a low fixed cost. You can register with an NHS dentist or you can choose to use a private dentist at a higher cost. 

Find an NHS dentist or doctor.

Living in London

London is a fantastic city to live in and there are plenty of services offering private rented accommodation and house shares. The accommodation page offers more information about finding a place to live in London.

The Transport for London website shows all London bus, tube and train timetables as well as regular traffic updates. Travelling by bus, tube or train is paid for with an Oyster card, and students can get a further discount by registering their card.  

Black cabs are in the traditional cab design (and often appear in advertisers’ colours rather than the traditional black). They can be hailed on the street and the orange light on the roof indicates they are available. They are licensed and considered by many to be safer to use than a ‘minicab’. Minicabs are licensed private hire vehicles which must be booked in advance.

See facts and figures about how the ICR is structured into 8 research divisions, the different corporate services and the diversity of our staff and students.

Download factsheet

It is strongly advised that minicabs are not hailed on the street as it is also possible that the driver and vehicle is unlicensed and may be a danger to you.

The reception desks at Chester Beatty Laboratories (CBL) in London and the Brookes Lawley Building (BLB) in Sutton have numbers of local minicab firms.

Current vacancies

ICR values

Our values – developed together as an organisation – make it clear how each and every one of us work to meet our mission – to make the discoveries that defeat cancer.

Questions about careers at the ICR?

Please get in touch if you have any questions regarding career opportunities at the ICR.